Friday, August 21, 2009

Baked Chimichanga with Tempeh and Tomatillos


The cabinets are getting pretty sparse and it is hot as hades in my house. Frankly I haven't felt like cooking, but the kids gotta eat. Though no matter what I make, it is pretty much guaranteed A won't eat it anyway.

I am not kidding when I say the cabinets are getting sparse, there is not much in there. I did have a package of Tempeh and some tomatillos I picked up at the farmers market the other day. I flipped through some recipes and found inspiration from Vegan Dad and his baked chimichanga recipe. I used less chili powder because I didn't want it spicy, I wanted A to try it and M to eat it.

Here is my version:

1 Tbl. oil
1 large onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 pkg. tempeh, crumbled
5 tomatillos
1/4 to 1/2 cup water
5 whole wheat tortillas
1 can vegetarian refried beans
salsa

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Heat oil in large skillet and cook onion and green pepper until they start to soften, about 5 minutes.
  • Add tempeh, tomatillos, spices and water. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
  • Spread refried beans on the tortilla, top with tempeh mixture and some salsa.
  • Fold up the tortilla, tucking in the ends (use refried beans to make it stay closed)
  • Place on baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
  • Brush on a little oil, or use a spray oil.
  • Bake for 20 minutes.
  • You can serve it with tofu sour cream, lettuce, tomato, etc. I just added some more salsa on top.

The tortillas I had in the fridge were a bit past their prime, so they started to rip when I tried to fold them. They still tasted great though.


1 comment:

Ryan, VegVine.com said...

Hi - Rad vegan site! I'm planning to feature it on a VegVine.com browser bar for vegetarians. We are a group of vegan volunteers connecting people with veg resources like yours. Our goal is a world with greater compassion. It seems like we share that. If you can squeeze it into your schedule I'd love to chat. Ryan, president http://www.VegVine.com (Ryan@VegVine.com or 215-589-2437) VegVineRyan@Gmail.com